Saint Leo University Poll Finds About Half of Floridians Project Their 2016 Annual Charitable Giving Will Repeat 2015 Contribution Levels
SAINT LEO, FL – Just about half of the respondents in a statewide survey conducted after Thanksgiving by the Saint Leo University Polling Institute (http://polls.saintleo.edu) anticipate their 2016 giving to charitable causes will be level with their 2015 contributions.
Specifically, 47.4 percent of the 501 respondents across the state said their total levels of 2016 giving would be “about the same” as the prior year. Another group, 18.8 percent, said their 2016 charitable giving would increase compared to 2015, while 13.6 said it would decrease.
Of the remaining respondents, 14.6 percent said they have not and will not be giving to charity in 2016, and 5.6 percent were unsure. The results were collected online from November 27 to November 30, 2016, and the margin of error for the poll is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.
The 399 respondents who reported giving to charities were asked how they go about their decision making, and most of them strongly agreed (40.6 percent) or somewhat agreed (39.8 percent) that they research charities before donating. Specifically:
Donors strongly agreed (38.1 percent) or somewhat agreed (34.8 percent) that they check to see what percentages of charities’ budgets for actual programs or services before giving (total agreeing = 72.9 percent).
More than six in 10 had been negatively influenced by bad reviews; 32.8 percent strongly agreed and 33.1 percent somewhat agreed they had stopped giving to one or more charities over time because of poor reviews.
So-called “report cards” on charities were apparently not as broadly influential with donors. While 48.1 percent either strongly or somewhat agreed that they use report cards before donating, 47.4 percent disagreed strongly or disagreed somewhat. In practical terms, that is an even split between “yes” and “no” on report cards […]